I was in a hurry and remembered reading this yummy looking recipe from Edible East Bay, but didn’t quite have what I needed to make them, or the time to make them. So I improvised:
2 cups white flour
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, unsalted, directly from the fridge, nuked for 30 seconds on high
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen blackberries
evaporated cane juice
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir with a fork.
- Make a well in the center, and add the buttermilk.
- Gradually incorporate the buttermilk with the fork.
- Add the butter and stir.
- Add the blackberries (you could use frozen raspberries or blueberries, or a combination thereof) and stir.
- Spoon dough onto greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle evaporated cane juice or coarse sugar on top of scones.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until dough springs back when you poke it with your finger, and the scones are nice and golden brown. Check at 15 minutes to make sure nothing is burning.