I realize this isn’t the most appropriate recipe for summer, but it was really cold and gloomy here last week, which is when I made it.
Meaty Meaty Pea Soup
1 package bacon, chopped
1 package pre-cooked no nitrates andouille sausage (Niman Ranch is a good one), chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
4 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
4 cups broth
2 cups dry split peas (I used the yellow ones, but you could use green if you prefer)
- Chop meats and place in a heavy bottom pan over low-medium heat. Stir periodically as they brown.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion starts to brown, stirring periodically. (You can remove the meats and pour off the fat, but then add a little olive oil as you saute the onion and garlic.)
- Add the carrots and celery, stirring periodically as they cook. When they have softened, add the broth, sage, parsley, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then add the split peas.
- Cook over low heat until the peas get creamy, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing is burning on the bottom of the pot.
- Add water as necessary if the mixture starts looking too thick. I even add water when I reheat the leftovers, as the mixture tends to get thicker the longer it sits.