I went apricot picking over the weekend, so I decided to use a bunch of them in a black rice salad. I’d had a delicious black rice salad at a cooking group dinner, but could not get a hold of the recipe or the chef, so I figured it out myself.
Black Rice Apricot Salad
1 cup black rice
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbsp olive oil (or butter)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 cup fresh apricots, pitted and sliced
2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp pine nuts
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
5 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
5 leaves fresh mint, thinly sliced
1 T fresh parsley, chopped
1 T fresh chives, chopped
- Place rice in colander and rinse until water runs clear.
- Transfer rice to pot, and add water, pepper, salt, cumin, and cayenne.
- Bring contents of pot to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 35 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Add vinegar and oil (or butter) while rice is hot.
- Cover, and allow to cool (maybe about an hour or so).
- When rice is cool, transfer to a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, and then stir.
- This dish is best served cold, and it gets better as it sits, so if you can make it a day ahead, that’s the way to go.