This is a delicious versatile side dish without the sausage, or a delicious main dish with the sausage.
Peppers & Eggplant (& Sausage)
OPTIONAL: 1 lb spicy Italian sausage, cut in chunks, browned in a large heavy bottomed pan, and then the fat poured off
2 – 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 – 4 Japanese eggplants, quartered lengthwise, and then chopped
3 bell peppers, chopped (yellow, red, and/or orange)
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
red pepper flakes, to taste
- OPTIONAL: Cut sausage into chunks, brown in a heavy bottomed pot, remove from pot, and then pour off the oil. (Another option is to leave the sausage juice in the pan and use that to brown the onions. This is a delicious option, but some people just don’t like sausage juice.)
- Place olive oil in pan, heat over medium high heat, and then add onions and salt.
- Stir onions occasionally until they get wilty, then add garlic.
- Continue to stir occasionally as onions and garlic caramelize.
- Add eggplant and peppers, stir, and cover mixture.
- Let the nightshades cook for about 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley, pepper, red pepper flakes, and sausage, and cook uncovered for about another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the nightshades have reached the desired tenderness, serve with some nice crusty french bread, or over polenta.