Our butternut vine has found its second wind. I had an idea for a lentil soup with butternut squash in it, and it was so delicious we couldn’t even believe it. I’ve been instructed to use all of our butternuts this way.
VEGETARIAN FRIENDS, of course you can make this without the meats. Just use some olive oil to brown the onions, and then use vegetable broth instead of beef stock. I would not, however, recommend fake bacon. Ever.
Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash, Sausage, and Kale
1 onion, chopped
6 oz bacon, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package hot Italian sausage, cut in small pieces
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 large butternut squash, peeled, cleaned, and cut in 1/2- to 1-inch chunks
4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
8 cups low sodium beef broth (preferably home made, from the bones of a cow named Bessie)
1 bunch kale, sliced
8 sage leaves, sliced
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp pepper
salt, to taste
1 Tbsp paprika
hot pepper flakes, to taste
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 cup dry French green lentils
1/4 cup dry bulgur
- Place bacon chunks in large heavy bottomed pan on medium heat while you chop up your onion and garlic.
- Add onion and garlic to pot and cook until bacon has browned and onions start to caramelize, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage. Either brown the sausage separately ahead of time if you want to drain off the juices, or just add it directly to the pot and cook through, stirring frequently.
- Add celery at the same time as the sausage, or as soon as you have it chopped. Cook until celery is wilty.
- Add the butternut chunks, and stir.
- Add the tomatoes, kale, and then the broth.
- Add spices, and bring to a boil.
- When the kale has wilted to make room in the pot for the lentils and bulgur, add them.
- NOTE: this soup gets better as it sits in the fridge – boy are you in for a treat!
- **VEGETARIAN FRIENDS, of course you can make this without the meats. Just use some olive oil to brown the onions, and then use vegetable broth instead of beef stock. I would not, however, recommend fake bacon. Ever.